The Award was instituted in 1980 in the memory of Padma Vibhushan Smt. Jankidevi Bajaj, wife of Shri Jamnalal Bajaj. A Citation, a Trophy and a Cash Prize of 20 Lakh is given annually and ONLY to a woman for outstanding contribution in the field of development and welfare of women and children following Gandhian ideology.
For the purpose of this Award, the activities may cover any or more of the following areas:
- Education and eradication of illiteracy, vocational training, employment and rehabilitation of women and children.Eradication of illiteracy, initiating education and literacy programmes, vocational training, life skills, employment and rehabilitation of women, uplift and welfare of children
- Free or low cost medical care facilities for women and children, pre-natal and post-natal care, education for better health and hygiene, better nutrition for women and children
- Rehabilitation of vulnerable children, who are living and/or working in the slums
- Free or low cost legal aid to women in distress, creating awareness among women about their rights and the laws, reforms for enhancing the social status of women
- Care, education and rehabilitation of the children with special needs, those who are differently abled (viz. mentally and/or physically challenged)
- Application of innovation and creativity in the fields stated above and/or other related activities
Rules for submission of Nomination
- This Award is ONLY for a woman.
- Woman of a foreign origin, who is residing in India with an Indian citizenship and worked for a minimum period of 15 years in India, can apply for this award.
- Nominations can be recommended by individuals and/or institutions. Institutions such as Universities, Research Organisations, Social Welfare Institutions, Khadi and Village Industries, Chambers of Commerce, Central & State Government Departments, Rural and Urban Local Bodies, Corporates, International Institutions and any such representative bodies are not considered for the awards, but it can send nominations of individuals.
- Self-nomination is not recommended.
- Nomination of the deceased will not be considered.
- Submit factual information on the basis of the stated criteria.
- Nomination/s of family member/s whose one member has already received Jamnalal Bajaj Award will not be considered.
- Nomination of any individual, who has been the recipient of any of the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards in the past, will not be considered.
- The Foundation may defer or withhold conferring the Award in any year, if in the opinion of the Council of Advisors of the Foundation, no nominee/s is/are found suitable for receiving the Award.
- The Foundation reserves the right to cancel or postpone the Awards enforcing the force majeure in the occurrence of any natural or manmade events and/or due to unforeseen conditions that are beyond the control ofthe Foundation.
Criteria For Evaluation
In assessing the merits of the individuals for this Award, the overall impact and the spread effect of their work on Gandhian lines and the specific benefits accruing therefrom to the people, will be taken into account. In particular, the following will be considered:
- Whether the work is initiated singly by the nominee or by a group of people?
- How the work has benefitted the mentally, physically and sexually abused, neglected, deserted, exploited, ailing women and widows, especially from rural and tribal areas ?
- Rehabilitation and uplift of the uncared, destitute and exploited children, including orphans and juvenile children in conflict with law, especially from rural and tribal areas
- Innovation and creativity in carrying out the work
- Increase in productivity of the people without displacing labour
- Has the work led to: - employment generation across the community - equitable distribution and social equality - motivating people towards self-help and self-reliance - skill development through training provided - removal of drudgery and improvement in the living standards of the people
- Participation level of NGOs/Government/Social Welfare Organizations etc.
- Is the level of people's/community participation increased because of the work ?
- Mode of raising fund/s in case of deficit faced year after year
- Scope of long term sustainability and replication of the work
- Does the work foster the spirit of the workforce/team ?
- Has the second line of leadership been established ?
- What is the vision and possibility of the work being continued in future ?
Funding Verification process
If one of the sources of income is foreign funding, the Foundation will be carrying out Government verification process (with the concerned Central/State department).