The Award, instituted in 1978, comprises of a Citation, a Trophy and a Cash Prize of Rs. 20 Lakh is given annually and exclusively to an individual for outstanding contribution in any one or more fields of constructive work.
For the purpose of this Award for contribution of individuals in the field of Constructive Work, which are based on Mahatma Gandhi's Constructive Programmes, the activities may cover:
- Rural Development
- Health, Hygiene and Sanitation
- Khadi and other Village Industries
- Communal Unity
- Removal of Untouchability
- Dalit and Tribal Welfare
- Upliftment of Lepers
- Development of Women and Welfare of Children
- Students and Youth Participation
- Spread of Basic Education
- Adult Education
- Economic Equality
- Propagation of Hindi and Mother Tongues
- Strengthening Co-operative and Group Activities in Agriculture
- Building up Local Leadership
- Encouraging Local Voluntary Effort
Rules for submission of Nomination
- This Award is ONLY for an individual.
- Nomination/s can be recommended by individual/s and/or institution/s. Institutions such as Universities, Research Organisations, Social Welfare Institutions, Khadi and Village Industries, Chambers of Commerce, Central & State Government Departments, Rural and Urban Local Bodies, Corporates, International Institutions and any such representative bodies are not considered for the awards, but it can send nominations of individuals.
- Self-nomination is not recommended.
- Nomination of the deceased will not be considered.
- Submit factual information on the basis of the stated criteria.
- Nomination/s of family member/s whose one member has already received Jamnalal Bajaj Award will not be considered.
- Nomination of any individual, who has been a recipient of any of the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards in the past, will not be considered.
- The Foundation may defer or withhold conferring the Award in any year, if in the opinion of the Council of Advisors of the Foundation, no nominee/s is/are found suitable for receiving the Award.
- The Foundation reserves the right to cancel or postpone the Awards enforcing the force majeure in the occurrence of any natural or manmade events and/or due to unforeseen conditions that are beyond the control of the Foundation.
Criteria For Evaluation
In assessing the merits of the individuals for this Award, the overall impact and the spread effect of their work on Gandhian lines and the specific benefits accruing therefrom to the people, will be taken into account. In particular, the following will be considered:
- Whether the work is initiated singly by the nominee or by a group of people?
- How the work done has helped the weaker sections of society including landless and migrant communities and labours, slum dwellers, Dalit and tribal communities etc.?
- Increase in productivity of people without displacing labour
- Has the work led to: - employment generation across the community - equitable distribution and social equality - motivating people towards self-help and self-reliance - skill development through training provided - removal of drudgery and improvement in the living standards of the people
- Participation level of NGOs/Government/Social Welfare Organizations etc.
- Is the level of people's/community participation increased because of the work ?
- Mode of raising fund/s in case of deficit faced year after year
- Scope of long term sustainability and replication of the work
- Does the work foster the spirit of the workforce/team ?
- Has the second line of leadership been established ?
- What is the vision and possibility of the work being continued in future ?
Funding Verification process
If one of the sources of income is foreign funding, the Foundation will be carrying out Government verification process (with the concerned Central/State department).